Riverdog Members are invited to join us for one (or more) of these exciting behind-the-scene looks at the key moments in taking a Riverside production from the page to the stage. Those in attendance for each of the open rehearsals will get to witness a key moment in the rehearsal process and will then gather briefly to debrief and discuss with Riverside’s Education Coordinator Kathleen Johnson.
- Friday, 12/16 – 6:00-7:00pm: Design Presentations & Meet the Cast
- Sunday, 1/8 – 12:00-1:00pm: Rehearsal/Scene Work
- Monday, 1/23 – 6:00-7:00pm: Tech/Design Run
Cost: Free! This event is free for Riverdog Members – but we only have a limited number of spaces open for each night.
Registration: If you are interested in attending any of the Backstage Pass open rehearsals, please email Kathleen@riversidetheatre.org to reserve your spot as soon as possible. Each rehearsal (outlined below) is a new event; you can attend any of them.
Backstage Pass Open-Rehearsal Details:
Friday, 12/16 – 6:00-7:00pm: Design Presentations & Meet the Cast
- Early in the rehearsal process, the full design team comes together with the cast and director to present the complete design and production concepts and meet the cast. As this is one of the first rehearsals in the production process, this is a time for everyone to get to know each other and sets the stage for the rest of the rehearsal process.
- Riverdog Members in attendance will get to meet the cast, listen in on the designer presentations, and stay for a few of the early conversations about the concept for the production.
Sunday, 1/8 – 12:00-1:00pm: Rehearsal/Scene Work
- After the initial reading of the script and table work (time for the cast and director to focus specifically on the text and character development), the actors begin to put the play “on its feet.” This involves rehearsing the lines in character, adapting as the director and actors make discoveries, and blocking the play (deciding where, when, and why the actors move at any given moment).
- Riverdog Members in attendance will get to watch the actors rehearsing scenes in the theatre space as the director gives guidance for the scene.
Monday, 1/23 – 6:00-7:00pm: Tech/Design Run
- The week before the show opens is called “tech week:” a time when set, lighting, sound, and costume designers have rehearsals dedicated entirely to making sure their designs work in practice. As actors slowly work through scenes and moments, designers have the chance to make final adjustments so that the production is ready for an audience.
- Riverdog Members in attendance will get a sneak peek as the designers add the finishing touches to the set, lights, and sound as the actors work through specific scenes.
To reserve your spot, email Kathleen@riversidetheatre.org